21 June 2020

“Happy Father’s Day!” The BlogFather


This is a reverse salutation – I The BlogFather am greeting you, “Happy Father’s Day.” Thanks be to God! Because right now I am the one to point out to you the gifts I already have, given by me to myself slowly over the last 45 years:

Any of which I can help you gift yourself, if you want hard enough!

Starting on Innocents Day 1985, when I began to be taught by a lady at the office of Director Elpidio L Rosario of the Farming Systems & Soil Resources Institute, FSSRI, of UP Los Baños. Thanks, FSSRI!

Dig my digital gifts:

(1)   Writing. I didn’t know I had this gift until I was a Senior in high school at the Rizal Junior College, RJC (HS Dept), in Asingan, Pangasinan, when I joined the contest to select the TagalogEditor for our would-be RJC newsletter. I won! Over someone who was a Tagalog, a relative of the owner of RJC – and so I told myself, “This is my hidden talent. I am going to make myself the best of myself as a writer.” I was already then a voracious reader of English literature (RJC Library), and Tagalog magazines, komiks (I bought).

(2)   Editing, Popular. Freshman 1959. Nestor Mn Pestelos won the contest for Editor In Chief of the Aggie Green & Gold, AGG, of the UP College of Agriculture, now UP Los Baños – and he appointed me the Tagalog Editor! He knew I was Ilocano, but he could also see I knew Tagalog well, and so I became the First Ilocano Tagalog Editor you have ever known. 16 years later, when I joined the Forest Research Institute, FORI, I fathered the 3 FORI publications: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop on tropical forestry, and quarterly popular color magazine Habitat.

(3)   Editing, Technical. Continuing from the note above, I started editing technical papers when I was Chief Information Officer, CIO, of FORI. Including theses for Bachelor, MS and PhD degrees.

(4)   Desktop Publishing. I use Microsoft Office for this purpose – you will be surprised if you knew which application, app, I use for my DTP work!

(5)   Photography. I am an amateur photographer, starting 1968, when our first child Cristina Marie was born Yes, my photography is digital – I have a Lumix Fz100 superzoom camera with an Intelligent Auto, iA, feature.

(6)   Mentoring. You may not know, but I am a teacher. My course from UPCA is a BSA major in Ag Edu. I passed the very first Teacher’s Exam in 1964, Professional. Now I’m digital.

(7)   Blogging. I began blogging in 2005. I haven’t stopped since then. I have blogged more than 5,000 essays each at least 1,000 words long. Today, I’m blogging shorter ones, 517words each – the digits represent Frank A Hilario. (Ikaw na ang maging ako. Sikan a ti siak.) The beauty of blogging is you can publish yourself anytime and as often as you like.

 (If you have read this far, I am offering you a free one-time consultation with any of the above digital skills. frankahilario@gmail.com)@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...