29 December 2022

“Holy Innocents Day” 1985 – It Just So Happened That This Was The Day Innocent Me From Zero, I Began Learning To Use The Personal Computer

28 December 1985, 37 years ago, a Saturday, I was 100% innocent about the personal computer (PC) when I started learning to use the desktop PC with my first word processing program, “WordStar 1”.  Remember? At that time, I was already a fast & furious typist; I had typed on an IBM Selectric a whole book, “Focus On The Small Farmer,” that was published in 138 pages by the Farming Systems & Soil Resources Institute (FSSRI) of UP Los Baños. I had edited the book by hand and retyped whole pages as necessary. A labor of love, yes – a labor that I did not want to go through again!

“Feast Of The Holy Innocents” (Britannica, britannica.com):
Feast of the Holy Innocents, also called Childermas or Innocents’ Day, Christian feast in remembrance of the massacre of young children in Bethlehem by King Herod the Great in his attempt to kill the infant Jesus (Matthew 2:16–18).

(“Innocent face” from pikapika.ph;

In 1985, I wanted to kill the innocent writer & editor in me and, thanks to FSSRI Director Elpidio L Rosario, I started to suffocate that innocence with the tool called the PC.
“Old computer” clalliance.org; inset, my PC circa 2017)

“Massacre Of The Innocents” (Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org):
The Massacre of the Innocents is the incident described in the nativity narrative of the Gospel of Matthew (2:16–18) in which Herod the Great, king of Judea, orders the execution of all male children who are two years old and under in the vicinity of Bethlehem. The Catholic Church regards them as the first Christian martyrs, and their feast – Holy Innocents' Day (or the Feast of the Holy Innocents) – is celebrated on 28 December. A majority of Herod biographers, and "probably a majority of biblical scholars," hold the event to be myth, or legend.

What I am writing about me is not myth but is legend – I can say that because I have through the years trained myself; I have shown that I can be a one-man band digital Editor In Chief of any technical newsletter, journal or magazine – a legendary Ilocano PC-based writer, editor and desktop publisher!

From Innocents Day 1985, slowly through the years, because I wanted to, I learned the whole digital process from typing the draft to editing to formatting the text to sectioning, assigning running pages, etcetera.

“Feast Of The Holy Innocents” (Catholics & Cultures, catholicsandcultures.org):
The Feast of the Holy Innocents, also called Childermas or Innocents’ Day, is a Christian feast in remembrance of the massacre of young children in Bethlehem by King Herod the Great in his attempt to kill the infant Jesus (Matthew 2:16–18). The day is still observed as a religious feast day and, in Roman Catholic countries, as a day of merrymaking for children.

Me, I celebrate Innocents Day as my liberation from the slavery of the typewriter. A zillion thanks to my digital idols Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak for inventing the PC!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...