16 December 2022

Rigoberto Tiglao Loves “Truth Journalism.” I Blogger Love “THiNK! Journalism.” Think About That!

The likes of Rigoberto Tiglao of The Manila Times are journalists. Who else? On the 30 Nov 2022 issue of that daily, the title of his piece is categorical: “Bloggers Are Not Journalists” (manilatimes.net). I blogger ask: “Does Mr Tiglao have reason and right to declare that negative?”
(“Blog” from deskera.com)

Mr Tiglao opens his column with these words:

BLOGGERS, even prolific ones whom one Red propagandist calls, rather stupidly, "citizen journalists," are not journalists. They are a new creature disseminating ideas and information solely in cyber space, a creature of the digital age. Period.

Mr Tiglao’s positive view is limited to print media, I'm positive about that!

I am a blogger, if self-taught. I started blogging in 2000; since then, I have blogged an unbelievable 9 million words total, mostly about agriculture: policy, science & practice. Also communication.

In 2011, the UPLB Alumni Association recognized my achievement as “Outstanding Alumnus for Creative Writing.” The basis was my incessant blogging even while I did not take up journalism or any related course. And yes, in both writing and blogging, I am self-taught.

Now then, based on authentic experience, I have the creativity & credibility to defend blogging as journalism.

About credibility, I learned Mr Tiglao has had several awards for his journalism. Here is a list from Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org): “Best News Reporter” 1983 (Catholic Mass Media Awards); “Best Economic Journalist for Asia” 1983 (Mitsubishi Foundation); “The Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines for Print Journalism” 1992 (Philippine Jaycees). And: from 1988 to 1989, he was a Nieman Fellow at the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University. In 2002, he became a Fellow at the Center for Southeast Asia Studies at Kyoto University. For all that, I salute him.

Mr Tiglao is a graduate of the Ateneo De Manila and University of the Philippines: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, his personal website says (RigobertoTiglao, rigobertotiglao.com). Nothing said about journalism. I therefore conclude that he became a journalist in practice.

So, why cannot Mr Tiglao recognize a blogger as a journalist in practice?

Whatever. I do believe as a journalist, Mr Tiglao subscribes to what I call “Truth Journalism,” the popular kind which I'm sorry to say cannot pass The Rotary 4-Way Test:

1.     Is it the TRUTH?

2.     Is it FAIR to all concerned?

3.     Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?

4.     Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

As a blogger, what I do practice is what I call “THiNK! Journalism,” which runs like this:

True? If True, is it
Helpful? If Helpful, is it
Inspiring? If Inspiring, is it
Necessary? If Necessary, is it
Kind?
THiNK!

Yes, Rappler’s Maria Ressa co-won with a Russian journalist the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize – but she is always in danger of being incarcerated or something because of her brand of journalism that Mr Tiglao shares.

If bloggers too practice Truth Journalism, they are playing a dangerous game. Why don’t they practice instead, and why don’t you Mr Tiglao – THiNK! Journalism?

THINK some more, Mr Tiglao!@517

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...