25 February 2023

Reminiscing The 1986 Philippine People Power Revolution – And Missing The Point Of It All!

Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 – we are celebrating the 37th anniversary of the “EDSA People Power Revolution.” Except that we are putting “power” in the wrong perspective. In the prevailing thinking of Filipinos, “People Power” is the power to say “No!” and not the power to say “Yes!” For the sake of us people of the Philippine Islands, let us trace history and reminisce much. We owe it to ourselves – the people abusive of power are gone, but so what?!

(Lower image from manilatimes.net)

Rigoberto D Tiglao (25 Feb 2018, “Facts About EDSA we didn’t know at the time, hidden from us for decades,” Manila Times, manilatimes.net):

In 1986, Fidel Ramos was the chief of the Philippine Constabulary. A trusted aide of then-President Ferdinand Marcos [FM], he shocked the nation when he turned against his commander-in-chief and marched with the people in EDSA – hailed a hero by many.

I am now reading the book Silver Linings (25 Years of the 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution), authored by Melandrew T Velasco, co-authored by Rafael M Alunan III and Gen Reynaldo V Velasco (ret), 472 pages (including Index) the copy sent to me by my friend JAQ last year. My wife Ampy had urged me to write today, “kind of paying tribute to FVR, especially his role not only during EDSA PPR but also after it [remember the numerous FAILED coup d’etats (putches) during Cory Aquino’s presidency....” And who am I to say “No” to my wife? Not to mention that Fidel Valdez Ramos (FVR) is a townmate, both of us natives of Asingan, Pangasinan.

The idiomatic phrase “silver lining” refers to “the potential for something positive or beneficial to result from a negative situation” (The Free Dictionary, idioms.thefreedictionary.com). “Silver linings” indicates many potentials – now I ask: “What are those? Have we tapped any of them?”

Published on May 2012 by The Ramos Peace And Development Foundation Inc (RPDEV), total 485 pages. As the very last words of the book, FVR asks: “KAYA BA NATIN ITO??” My translation: “Can we do this?” My response: “Yes Sir! We can!”

The question is: “Which is that which we can?” After FVR, I will now volunteer a concept that covers Filipinos of all creeds and communities: Regenerative Philippines (RP).

And I am happy to tell you, if you don’t already know, that I have been proselytizing about Regenerative Agriculture since at least 1 year ago – see my essay, “Transforming Ifugao Rice Terraces Into Food & Wood Wonders – I Wonder How?” (16 Jan 2022, Regenerative AgriForestry, reagriforestry.blogspot.com).

And so, fondly remembering FVR (who died last year), I ask: “Kaya ba natin ito??” Sir! Here are several demands and my exact same singular response:

“Down with corruption!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
“Down with red-tagging!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
 “Down with science for private gains!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
“Down with lack of leadership!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
 “Down with lack of landownership!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
“Down with Farmer Poverty!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!
“Down with Climate Change!” Up with Regenerative Philippines!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...