03 February 2023

UVO Hiring – Did You Know That Age Does Not Matter If Mind Does Not Age!?


Early today, Friday, 03 Feb 2023 Manila, my daughter Graciela & boyfriend Jeff messaged me via Facebook – what would we do without Facebook! – of uvocorp Philippines hiring work from home (WFH) writers. So, I googled, and this came up – and something else.

The uvocorp webpage says (images above from philippines.uvocorp.com):

There is no other company that offers $15/page written by an ESL writer and $26/page completed by an ENL writer.

No, uvocorp does not explain those acronyms, which is not helping the target WFH writers. Unfortunately! That is a failure in advertising. Minor in appearance but not minor in effect: How then can the prospective writer tell which one s/he fits in?

I am aware of such predicament because I was a copywriter for 2 years with the famous Philippine ad & PR group Pacifica Publicity Bureau of respected Makati-based admaker & PR man Tony Zorilla, with Nonoy Gallardo as Creative Director. (We were all inspired by the British creative genius David Ogilvy, thank you very much!)

Pay attention now, uvocorp!

In fact, there are 3 more acronyms. Googling, I find “ENL” is English Native Speaker, “EFL” is English as Foreign Language, “ELF” is English as Lingua Franca, and “ESL” is English as Second Language.

Acronyms spelled out – success? No Sir/Madam, problem not yet solved. So: “How can you compare the acquired abilities of the EFL, ELF, ENL, ESL people?” Because I am an ENL does not necessarily mean I am excellent in English oral or written. Neither does my being EFL, ELF, or ESL mean that I am less excellent than the ENL fellow! My advice, uvocorp: “Hire an excellent Editor In Chief right now!”

I am myself a Filipino. But I have immersed myself, with nobody advising me, in reading and writing and blogging in the English language (the American way) – since high school in Asingan, Pangasinan, with the American Reader’s Digest and magazines Life, Look, Newsweek and TIME. All free to read at the library of Rizal Junior College (RJC) HS Dept. And I could bring home as many as 5 books for the weekend, from the RJC library, no charges – reading Saturdays and Sundays pasturing our 2 carabaos. That is to say, I learned more English to read and write literally on native soil!

So, how do you classify me now: EFL or ESL? I leave that to you, uvocorp.

Uvocorp, know that, for instance, even before the days that the personal computer (PC) was invented by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, I was already the Editor In Chief of the relatively young Forest Research Institute (FORI) based at the campus of UP Los Baños, and 1975-1980, I founded & became Editor In Chief of what I call “The FORI 3” – monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly forestry journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat. (Today, I am digital and have blogged some 8000 essays since 2000.)

Above – why is uvocorp portraying only teenagers? That disqualifies me, 82+! Uvocorp, I say: “Age does not matter, if mind does not age!”@517

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...