08 September 2023

“Success Stories Of Filipino Farmers” – Why Have Not “Agriculture Monthly” Featured Hundreds, Thousands, Nay Hundreds Of Thousands Of Them!?

A Google hound, I was googling for “success stories” of PH farmers and I saw these (above images): “Success Stories Of Filipino Farmers” (from youtube.com) and “Agriculture Monthly” (from Facebook facebook.com/agriculturemagazine). The YouTube webpage is showing only one success story; the Facebook page likewise shows only one story.

I ask now: “Why cannot they list, say 5-10 success stories of Filipino farmers at any one time – they don’t know? The honest answer is: They can’t find such a number!

In the 1960s, my father, Lakay Disiong (Dionisio), was a farmer and one of the “successful” farmers in our hometown Asingan, Pangasinan. That is, he could pay back his debts and have some money left for the rest of the year – and more. But he could not afford to send 2 boys to college at the same time – and UP College of Agriculture (UPCA, now UP Los Baños) was hardly expensive!

Why because my father was engaged in Chemical Agriculture (CA) – applying chemical fertilizers and chemical pesticides, which are expensive. CA is High Costs, so? Low Returns! That’s the economics I know – and hate.

I studied for my BS Agriculture (major in Ag Edu) at UP College of Agriculture (UPCA) 1960-1965, but I never heard about Organic Agriculture (OA). Our lecturers and instructors had not been instructed on OA themselves. I blame the Americans who founded UPCA. When I ransacked the UPCA library in the mid-1960s, I did not find OA books or articles in American magazines.

How can the millions of Filipino farmers be successful in their farming when their costs are high and their returns are low?!

My recommendation: For hardworking Filipino farmers to be as highly successful as they deserve, they have to be assisted by government in shifting to Regenerative Agriculture (RA), RA methods being essentially organic. A few RA examples that farmers already are familiar with: intercropping, green manuring, and relay cropping. The chemical fertilizers and pesticides applied are preventing millions of farmers from becoming financially successful!

More. Now then, to me, with Regenerative Agriculture a successful farmer generates each one of these:

(1)   Healthy soils

(2)   Healthy crops

(3)   Healthy harvests

(4)   Healthy foods

(5)   Healthy markets

(6)   Healthy pockets

(7)   Healthy villages.

What we have are millions of farmer dreamers!

Published by the Manila Bulletin, Agriculture Monthly is now 16 years old, starting with Zac Sarian as founding Editor In Chief. The magazine is now digital – where are stories of farmers who have transcended their poverty themselves?!

And no, Agriculture Monthly has not discovered Regenerative Agriculture – why not?

And no, the magazine is not talking about organic agriculture much, so it cannot do much about increasing the number of successful Filipino farmers on its pages!

If I were Editor In Chief of Agriculture Monthly, I would feature hundreds if not thousands of essentially organic farmers and gardeners. Or with external funding, I could start a new magazine – if you don’t know me, you can visit my blog “The Editor In Chief”, the-editor-in-chief.blogspot.com).@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...