23 December 2023

To Become A Happy Writer, About What Are Needed: Here are “Frank's 5 Happy Steps To Writing!”

Shared by Jerry R Yapo on Facebook Friday, 22 Dec 2023, “About What’s Needed To Become A Writer” by Abdon Balde Jr (ABJ). About ABJ, this is what Wikipedia tells me (en.wikipedia.org):

Abdon Balde Jr (born 12 September 1946) is a contemporary Bicolano writer in Bikol, Filipino, and English. He was [honored] as one of the Outstanding Bikolano Artists for 2009 in Literary Arts category in Naga City, and Southeast Asian Writers Awards for the Philippines in Thailand last 2009. In 2012, he was named Poet Laureate of Albay.

Very impressive!

This is what appears below the “Fun In Writing” image above, my selections (in italics):

ABOUT WHAT’S NEEDED TO BECOME A WRITER.

If you could hold a pencil and write on paper you could be a writer. If you could pound keys [on] a keyboard and write sentences you could be a writer. The rest could be learned. Convert to words what is in your mind. Never mind about grammar and spelling – what you’ve written could be edited by others. What’s important is that you are able to write many, many words on paper or on screen.

Do not start writing with the belief that writing is a serious business. Writing is fun. It’s a wonderful preoccupation. It enables you to extract beautiful words from inside your heart and mind. It empowers you to create a world of your own. In writing you can become like the god of your fairy tales!

I still believe that frequent practice is more important than waiting for natural talent to surface. I do not believe that talent is something anyone is born with. I also believe that more than just practice and talent, something else should be there – an itch, an urge –something there inside you that pushes you to crawl out of your cocoon and grow wings.

To each his own.

After ABJ’s advice, I will now give mine based on my 49 years of actual experience in creative writing, since 1974, and having blogged thousands of essays since 2000. Oh no, I did not finish a course near enough to writing – I am a UP Los Baños graduate, 1965, major in Ag Edu.

In high school, the Reader’s Digest encouraged me to write.

Oh yes, I am a self-taught writer, editor, photographer, publisher and blogger. I “graduated” from typewriter-based writing to digital writing starting Innocents Day in 1985. Oh yes, I’m happy!

Here are “Frank's 5 Happy Steps To Writing” –

1, Write.
2, Read.
3, Rewrite.
4, Reread.
5, Rewrite.

Read before and/or after you write your 1st draft. Read other writers (whether you call them “writers” or not). Read books. Read other materials. Read the Internet.

Remember: Assuming you know good English, your quality of writing depends on how well you read & reread (others & yours), and how well you rewrite your outputs. (This 517-word essay, I wrote & rewrote several times from about 10 AM Friday to 7 AM Saturday.) There are no shortcuts to good writing!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...