26 April 2024

Double Great Sunsets! How Great Can You Create A Coffee-Table Book, Anyone?

Anybody wants to produce a coffee-table book? I could tell you all about how to before you make the very first of a thousand steps!

Above, you are looking at either a sunrise or a sunset, depending on your mood. Actually, they are the same photograph that I took probably in 2017; it’s the same photograph from my Lumix FZ100, but viewed in 2 separate monitors – the left on the monitor of my Lenovo laptop, the right on the bigger monitor ViewSonic 20-inch LED.

I love taking photographs, among other things. I love writing, rewriting, editing, re-editing. I love desktop publishing (DTP), DTP being the one you do before you print your magazine or book.

You have to love what you’re doing to be doing great!

How do you do a wonderful coffee-table book for your group or office? You start with a wonder-promising script! That is to say, you start with someone who has been writing for years and years – or someone who shows promise.

How do you write a coffee-table book? First, you have to know the background story of the office and of the officers. Then how the office came to be what it is now. As much as possible, look for the exciting part of the story and begin the book from there!

I bought that Lumix FZ100 from the cash advance I got from the Agricultural Credit & Policy Council (ACPC). I’m talking of early 2012. I started collecting photographs from the field on the many successful loan projects of the ACPC, to produce its 25th anniversary coffee-table book titled “The Filipino Farmer Is Bankable” – 150 pages, each reading page with a photograph. To collect more images, I travelled to Northern Luzon, mid-Visayas (I cancelled Mindanao at the last minute). Now then, about half of the images came from my FZ100.

A silver book for a silver anniversary, I dare say!

Where did I get my photo perspectives? In 1967-68, when I taught at Xavier University College of Agriculture in Cagayan De Oro City, I frequented the Xavier library, and studied the paintings of the masters: wide angles, cropping, lighting, highlighting etcetera. I probably was the first-ever photographer anywhere to report that I learned my photography much from paintings!

January to March 2012, I was on a journey to collect information, ideas and images to put into the inspirational coffee-table book that I produced for the ACPC, having been engaged by its Executive Director Ms Jovita Corpuz to produce the volume for the silver anniversary celebration of the ACPC in April. I had only 3 months to produce that book. With my decades of writing experience in science, and with that Lumix camera, I delivered!

I don’t remember being so happy doing a project for somebody else whom I met for the first time. (See also my essay, “The Old Man And The C. Or, How To Produce A Coffee-Table Book In 8 Weeks,” (27 April 2012, Frank A Hilario, blogspot.com). When you are happy doing, you do great work!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...