07 August 2024

How To Block “Writer’s Block” – What I Call “Writer’s Blank”

Writer or non-writer, if you’re suffering from “Writer’s Block,” you’re not alone. Whether you are using pen or laptop, you write some words, and then stop – no further thoughts come out of your mind to write on paper, or onscreen. I pity you!

Note: 2 of my numerous blogs over the years: (1) since March 2019 – Communication For Development Of Vibrant Villages (blogspot.com), 1,079 articles; and (2) since Jan 2020 – The Editor In Chief (blogspot.com), 549 articles. Total: 1,628 articles in the last 5 years, 27 articles every month, 517 words each article.
(Image sources: top,  grammarly.com/blog, bottom positivewriter.com)

That all shows I have suffered no Writer’s Block!
Oh, and I am almost 84 years old!

I am a publicly known creative writer since I became a writer from home (WFH) for the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) 2007-2014 when ICRISAT was under now PH ex-Secretary of Agriculture William Dar.

Wikipedia says (“Writer’s Block,” en.wikipedia.org/wiki):

Writer's block {has) various degrees of severity, from difficulty in coming up with original ideas to being unable to produce work for years. This condition is not solely measured by time passing without writing(;) it is measured by time passing without productivity in the task at hand.

Here’s advice from Frederick Meyer (“Writer’s Block: What Causes Writer’s Block, And How To Overcome It” (24 May 2024, Writers.com, writers.com): “Writer’s block … affects almost every writer at some point, and it can be debilitating for our creativity.”

In the 1970s, two researchers at Yale studied writer’s block, and concluded that it had four main causes:

1.    “Feeling constrained and creatively blocked by the “rules” of writing.“

2.    “Seeking external validation and attention through one’s writing, and becoming disappointed and angry if not getting it.“

3.    “Feeling not good enough and paralyzed by self-criticism.“

4.    “Feeling afraid of having one’s writing compared with the work of others.“

Here’s my pieces of advice. This is just a listing to help you get rid of your Writer’s Block. Choose what works for you:

(1) Do something else. Do something unrelated to writing.

(2) Cultivate other interests other than writing. I recommend reading. Select what you want to read, but read!

(3) Add to your knowledge before and after writing. This will help you increase not only your breadth but also your width of thinking.

(4) Keep a scratch pad ready all the time. I have what I call “Notesbooks” – plenty of them: in my room where I am writing this, outside where I sit and watch the world go bye, on the dining table, on my bed, and in my little shoulder bag!

(5) Read anything, including the labels of products. If anything, it will take your mind off what you are writing about.

(6) Learn digital writing – it will open new windows for you! Windows for more knowledge, windows for thinking some more.

(7) Don’t reject thoughts that run counter to what you are writing.

Oh yes! Why is humor not included as a way out of Writer’s Block? Humor me!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...