28 August 2024

“AI” Vs “EI” – John McCarthy’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) Versus Frank A Hilario’s Extralogical Intelligence (EI). “Thinking Machine” Vs “Thinking Me”?

A digital denizen, my son Jomar Hilario on Facebook came out (27 Aug 2024) with the statement that “Google is doomed.” What he means maybe is that more and millions more people will turn to Artificial Intelligence (AI) to produce digital products, textual or visual or both – as varied & complex as interior planner, travel assistant, portrait, short story, music, video. Well, Google invented itself; so, if Google is left with only a few directly using it, it can always reinvent itself!

Ah, but as a creative thinker, I am not worried about AI. Starting some 70 years ago, Frank A Hilario has always been creative since high school, inspired by the Reader’s Digest in particular, whose articles and stories do entertain and educate at the same time. I became more creative when I worked 1974-75 as a copywriter for Tony Zorilla’s Pacifica Publicity Bureau in Makati where the original creative ideas of marketing genius David Ogilvy held sway. In later years, I learned the “Po Technique” from Maltese physician & thinker Edward De Bono, where there are no negatives, only possibilities you have to search for, considering also the insides or hidden nooks of the negatives, even downright stupid!

From a YouTube presentation, the above image says, “Episode II – AI: Artificial Intelligence. The Age Of Exponential Intelligence.” I have a problem with that – if the intelligence is exponential, there is no way the human mind can handle it! Two of the synonyms of “exponential” are “expanding” and “wanton” – can we humans handle “wanton creativity”? Me, I will always run to “human creativity!”
(sources of images: top, youtube.com; bottom, magzter.com)

Read the words in the bottom image, those that describe or point to Creativity: “Thinking. Positive. Mind. Brainstorming. Invention. Ideas. Innovation. Art.” Your mind, once turned on to creativity, will never run out of ideas! You just have to learn how to be creative, that’s all. (Let me help you with your article, thesis, technical paper, book – I prefer the digital version.)

“Artificial Intelligence.” Thinking more of the “threat” by AI, I have just come out with an inventive term for creative thinking: “Extralogical Intelligence” (EI). Artificial vs extralogical. Artificial means it is created by machines; extralogical means “outside the limits of logic” (Collins Dictionary, collinsdictionary.com). Not “illogical” but simply/not-so-simply “derived outside of logic.”

If you insist on being logical all the time, you will never be creative!

AI is no-sweat creativity; EI is no-holds-barred creativity. Personally, I love my creative ideas much more than any AI setup can come up with!

How much of a creative writer am I? Before the digital world came about, I was The Editor In Chief of the 3 Forest Research Institute (FORI, now ERDB) publications: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat. (Note: Those were ancient, typewriter times!)

Since 2000, I probably have blogged 40,000 essays, the longest being something like 10 pages and the shortest exactly 517 words.

Now I wish, “Happy EI, everyone!”@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...