17 September 2024

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival. Holiday in a big-shot town, Los Baños, Laguna. An unbeatable tourist destination. Why? What follows is what I know.  

(image from sg.video.search.yahoo.com)

If you didn’t know, in Los Baños (LB), you will find all these and more:

(1)   #1 university of agriculture in the Philippines: University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB);

(2)   Philippine Council for Agriculture & Aquatic Resources Research & Development (PCAARRD) – R&D for the whole country.

(3)   PhilRice Los Baños Station;

(4)   University of the Philippines Open University (UPOU) – you can study by correspondence or digital means.

(5)   Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), covering Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam,

(6)   International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) – IRRI has an interesting Rice Museum.

When you visit Los Baños, you are actually visiting a municipality of educational, research and extension offices local, regional and international!

My birthday, yes. Personally, what is there to celebrate – and give thanks to God for? Me, Frank A Hilario:

(1)   1950s: High School, Rizal Junior College (Asingan, Pangasinan) – the American Reader’s Digest inspired this avid reader to think creatively and write.

(2)   1975-1980:  I was inspired to be the founder and Editor In Chief of the 3 Forest Research Institute (FORI) publications: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat.  These publications made FORI known here and abroad.

(3)   1965-1985: I must be an excellent teacher! Graduating in 1965 with a BSA major in Agricultural Education from UPCA (now UPLB). I taught myself writing, editing, desktop publishing, and blogging. I began learning digital works on Innocents Day, 1985, at the Office of the Director of the Farming Systems & Soil Resources Institute (FSSRI) of UPLB, when Madecor President Elpidio “Pids” L Rosario was FSSRI Director.

(4)   2000-2008: Self-taught in desktop publishing (DTP), I brought the Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) from being late 3 years to up-to-date in 3 years. Working doubletime, I did the DTP and in 2007 the PJCS had produced quality issues it was included in the elite international list “ISI” (now “Web of Science”) – an extraordinary achievement.

(5)   2007-2013: A writer from home (WFH) for the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) based in India, and ICRISAT published 7 books of mine based on my blog (ICRISAT Watch). Not to forget: I did the preliminary DTP of those books. These were the basis for judging me the 1st and one-and-only “Outstanding Alumnus For Creative Writing” in the entire 100+ years of UPLB by the UPLB Alumni Association in 2011. (Ask Pids Rosario.)

Again, Happy Birthday to me!

I thank the Lord very much for all of the above. Today, now 84, I pray for 33 more years, to a ripe old age of 117!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...