16 January 2023

“You Have To Invest In Others” Is The “Force For Good” Message Of Miss USA, Our Miss Universe 2022

We Filipinos “lost” but at the same time we Filipinos “won” the Miss Universe 2022 title with Miss USA’s R’Bonney Gabriel who is actually a Filipino-American. I was rooting for Miss Philippines, but you can win them all, can’t you?

The immediate lesson from the contest that I see is that our candidate Celeste Cortesi should have been well-versed, at least acquainted, with current events. ANN says (Author Not Named, 15 Jan 2023, ABS-CBN, news.abs-cbn.com):

During the first round of question-and-answer portion of the international pageant, Gabriel was asked what change she'd like to see in Miss Universe and why.

She answered: "For me, I would like to see an age increase, because I am 28 years old and that is the oldest age to compete. I think it’s a beautiful thing. My favorite quote is ‘If not now, then when?’ As a woman, I believe that age does not define us. It’s not tomorrow, it’s [not] yesterday but it’s now. The time is now that you can go after what you want."
(Upper image from rappler.com)

“Age does not define us.” You are very welcome to say that to me – I’m 82 (Sept 17)!

Gabriel, whose father is Filipino, wore a creation of Filipino designer Rian Fernandez for her evening gown during the coronation night. Fernandez was the same designer who created Gabriel’s gown during the preliminary competition. Her eye-catching “woman on the moon” national costume… [was itself a] creation of [another] Filipino designer, Patrick Isorena.

2 Filipino designers for 2 Filipina beauties.

Those eye-catching gowns are for Beauty – here’s what’s for Brains:

In the final Q&A, the Top 3 contestants were asked how they would work to demonstrate that the Miss Universe is an empowering and progressive organization should they win the competition.

This is the first time I see that the Miss Universe contest is being pushed as “an empowering and progressive organization” – excellent news for Beauty & Brains!

How would Miss USA use her title “Miss Universe” to reflect an empowering and progressive organization? This is her reply:

Well, I would use it to be a transformational leader. As a very passionate designer, I’ve been sewing for 13 years, I use fashion as a force for good. In my industry, I’m cutting down on pollution through recycled materials when I make my clothing. I teach sewing classes to women who [have] survived from human trafficking and domestic violence and I say that because it is so important to invest in others, invest in our community and use your unique talent to make a difference.

“I use fashion as a force for good. … I’m cutting down on pollution… It is so important to invest in others, invest in our community…”

Emphasized during the contest was that the new Miss Universe crown is called “Force For Good.” That’s a winner! Congratulations to Jakapong “Ann” Jakrajutatip, owner. I say, not only Miss Universe 2022 but all of us with our talents should be forces for good!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tuesday, 17 Sept 2024. Welcome to Los Baños! This Beloved Town Is Celebrating The Day, Which Is My Birthday! How Lucky Can You Get?!

Unbelievable. Oh God, I must be the most blessed person in the world – today, a whole town is celebrating my birthday! With Bañamos Festival...